Writing a scholarship essay is definitely a challenging task that sometimes seems to be impossible to cope with. However, it is for sure something you can manage, provided you understand the requirements.
Yes, it will take time and at some point you will think of giving up. On the other hand, forcing yourself to work and overcoming the moments of weakness might save you loads of money on tuition.
If you are about to start working on your essay or somewhere in the middle of the process, here are some tips on how to do a scholarship essay. Use them to ace it and get paid!
1. Write about something you care about – show real passion. You are not supposed to be just like everybody else. Be yourself and be unique. If you are writing about something that is in the scope of your interests, it will come out and earn you extra points.Besides, if you are applying for a certain kind of scholarship, all the other applicants will be writing about similar concepts. Try to stand out.
2. Make sure you stick to the topic. Formulate a thesis and place it at the very beginning. It isa good idea to show that your essay does not beat around the bush. Do it by writing down a few synonyms of the key ideas of your essay and “sprinkle” them all over the text. Don’t go too far because otherwise your text will look unnatural.
3. Concentrate. Although it might be tempting to include every tiny experience or notions you came up with, it is better to focus and expand on only a few of them. You essay shall not be vague. On the contrary, it has to be very specific.
4. Add some life. When explaining why you have to enrolled, prove it with real experience. However, avoid telling the entire story of your life and trying to make the readers sorry for you. They want to give you money because you are a good investment with potentially high ROI, and not because life was not kind to you before.
5. Your entire essay must answer the following question: “Why it’s me who must have the money?” Even though the topic is formulated differently, this is what the board wants to know. And if you manage to prove yourself the best candidate, you will be a winner.
The last but not least, don’t give up. If you feel lost, look for sample essays for college scholarships to get some inspiration. Take rest and start all over. Winning the scholarship is worth all the efforts – never forget it.